Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Intra-family Nonviolent Communication - New Approaches

As I sit in a coffee shop on the Upper West Side in New York City much has occurred so a few postings are necessary. While visiting William in Washington, D.C. as a means to develop my oratorical skills with the healthcare issue I met with a Communications professor. He was incredibly helpful in addressing the need to reframe the issue. Even more so, a key figure in reframing conversations, based at UCLA was posited as a potential resource. I am about to read this information as well as a few books on the matter. To synthesize the research which has already been done on this policy issue, a ten page white paper on the “language of care” is being developed.

He and I were supposed to have a phone call yesterday but that didn’t pan out. I left a voicemail and hope to reconnect in advance of the conference next weekend to properly frame my position. That’s one key peg of my approach, non-judgment grounded in principled humanism. As an example, instead of denouncing an opinion posited by the opposition, it’s requested that they prove their “free market” ideal has ever existed.