Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Email Turnaround - When to Walk Away

I have, of late, been very involved in a number of causes through which my learning curve is bending in a positive direction. However, my own rules for engaging individuals via email and acknowledging their requests isn’t shared by all. More specifically, some individuals will request an item, let’s say during a phone call, and lose everything in translation to email.

Sometimes, this is because they feel that responding via email makes things a bit more formal. Also, some have a lacking time management system and can’t respond to messages.

My own rule is once an email is sent with an ask or items that a party has requested there are two reminders. After two weeks, there’s no need for me to spend any additional time on the matter (we’re not talking about payment collection, although you can just put someone on small claims notice). It’s no longer effective to ruminate on why they aren’t responding as the perspective can often become personal. My business, in communications and RE, will require retainers for the purpose of avoiding large financial losses due to lack of turn around. It’s a policy to protect my work and time.