Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Owning my time - No I can't call back later

Today, I needed to call a doctors office to find out their protocol for submitting insurance claims. I visited a few weeks ago and yet nothing posted on the Aetna page. Understanding the office policy would help me not feel stressed out. No need to worry if you submit bills every few weeks

As soon as the receptionist picks up the phone she seems rushed. I answer the questions of first and last name. Before five minutes have passed the answer returns "we're busy, can you call back?" I thought that getting into a back and forth is never succcessful. It is a simple question so we can just get an answer.

She says the woman who does the billing questions is busy and I'll have to call back.

It is time to get my needs on the table.

"Don't you have my phone number? Can she just call when she's not busy?"

I simply state "If she's working ask her to call when she's not busy. I don't want to call back because there's a chance she may be busy again."

With that, I was put on a 5 second hold and was able to ask my question. It actually just took her one second and she answered and said it was implied this was a lengthy question. Basically, she said no without even knowing my need.