Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Communications Networking - Long Term Foundation

I am not one for the constant flow of networking. Let me be very clear, setting up a path towards a goal based on meeting the right number of persons isn’t very effective for me. What if one of the relationships isn’t something to which the other can commit? Then, I am left either with a huge gaping hole in the plan or a need to re-evaluate and locate yet another person.

Also, maintaining relationships that matter takes time. There’s a huge difference between having someone in your contact book and actually having a relationship. Just because I hand in one completed project for a client doesn’t assume any connection is there. A need was met and now that particular need no longer exists. What is the fuel that keeps them coming back to maintain an actual relationship? I would say it’s the manner in which you listen to the information the person is telling you. One example, a faith based organization in which I am doing some work had a need for content review. However, at the root of the need to shift was activity happening within the faith community. Listening to what the contact point had to say about this root causation created a real opportunity to learn and develop trust.

I am not into disposable contacts. If there is an attempt to reach out that is not honored usually there’s another message sent. After I know a reasonable amount of time has been invested on my end, whether they actually take up the chance to work again says nothing about me.