Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Starbucks Employee Evaluations - Email Sent to Corporate

This is intended as a resource from my perspective as both a communications consultant and a loyal brand consumer. While in store today I couldn't help but notice employee evaluations taking place in the seating area shared by customers. The evaluator conducted business which referenced satisfaction score targets of 75% and locations which had not met expectations. Furthermore, the conversation referenced employee retention and development with the company.

I must say it is absolutely in direct opposition to your push to retool the Starbucks image for such internal communications to be made public. If I weren't loyal, it would concern me that in certain locations only half of consumers felt their experience was positive. Also, language used when evaluating employees referencing their opportunities for management creates an implied lack of company trust in their employees. I was most disturbed in hearing "...just because someone is doing their best doesn't mean they're doing what needs to be done." It struck me as so odd and unhelpful a statement I typed it in a Word document so it wouldn't be forgotten.

There are ways to train staff and increase cohesion and morale in a setting that is appropriate and this misses the mark entirely.

As a note on marketing, the VIA "push" is understood because of the profit potential in the instant market (courtesy the CEO interview on ABC News). However, the upsell at every turn has the potential not of canibalizing your beverage sales but repeat business and hurting the brand. Brand is not your newest gimmick, rather it is an expectation I have of your relationship with me as a consumer.

Frankly, it grows tiresome; entry way displays, aprons, POS displays and the "ask" at most transaction points. It superimposes a corporate identity onto what is supposed to be a "neighborhood" enterprise.

I love the store and the employees at this location are the friendliest encountered. On several occassions I've forgotten my coffee at the counter an employee delivered my product table-side. That type of excellent service. not marketing campaigns, is what creates the environment that have a value of $15 per week in repeat business.