Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Monday, September 28, 2009

Natural Networking

Recently, there has been a ton of activity on the networking front. This has come across in a very natural manner. Sometimes, it is irritating to continually link every interaction with someone to a possible goal-related item. I'm very sociable and sometimes just want to meet an interesting person removed from their impact on my "circle."

Placing emphasis on those topics and groups where my joy and focus lays has really helped this effort. A contact that invited me for one event has now suggested I become involved with a much larger initiative that would give me political experience. One phone call with a brand new faith-based contact (discussing my termination of automatic donations) has resulted in work on an annual stewardship publication. A few efforts at my church have led to a position on a grant-allocation committee. This is invaluable experience into group communication, time management and setting boundaries when a new member of a group.

The process of just keeping in regular contact with the new faces you meet is actually very simple. I have found that actually sending messages thanking people and remaining on top of your obligations has a huge impact. Your work ethic and drive speaks for itself and begins to float around in circles. Now that I have my business cards and website there is also a common point of reference. Anyone that needs to contact me after having a positive experience knows exactly where to go to continue the relationship.