Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Applying practicality when communicating company policies

Yesterday, while at a local Barnes & Noble, I encountered the irritant of managers who do not apply their view on specific situations to declare company policy. Instead of surveying the context in which something occurs company policy is elevated to the status of law: universal and violation of which causes a sliding set of responses.

Law is created so that human beings will not encroach on any other persons natural, or state-specific, rights. Corporate policies which are consumer specific are many times necessary so that duplicitous questions can be answered and products are protected. Using present information to inform response does not presuppose ignoring either of these central principles.

Case and point: I brought a sandwhich from another establishment (actally the components which wtere assembled). When I asked for a plate or container so that I wouldn't make a mess. The response was immediate, "We don't allow outside products." That assumes I am asking prior to bringing something, not true. Also, once I have something it will be immediately disposed or I will leave. The former makes no sense, let's suppose it were a book from another store. Secondly, even if I bring one product does not preclude me from spending on both a beverage and dessert option.

Policy must be extended in an appropriate fashion to seem reasonable or appropriate. If this isn't used judiciously, the entire rationale for the company stance is weakned uneccessarily.