Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Webpage building

I am soon to launch my new webpage for D Comm. and it's really coming along. It will be very helpful once there's a central means of communicating with everyone that can be more cross platform (i.e. video, blog, events and portfolio samples).

As I was thinking of the need to get this started I learned about the Brooklyn Creative League. They meet not so regularly but share office space for consultants and freelancers. At the most recent meeting a few days ago a representative for a web development company, wix.com, shared his business card. Once I returned home and emailed everyone from whom I receive a card (great way to build relationships) the next item was to take a look. After just a few minutes of browsing it was clear - this site is amazing. The functionality far surpasses anything I've used previously. It is easy to manipulate pages, there are tons of templates and uploading cross platform is really simplistic.

I will set a goal to have the webpage completed by the end of next week. Ideally, it would have been earlier but it's important to get some feedback before it goes live. My situation is peculair because new business cards cannot be ordered until the webpage is complete. It makes no sense to hand out a business card without the site that's brand new. In trying to rush one project I'd pay more for the other and build relationships in an unbalanced way.