Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Monday, September 28, 2009

Philadelphia Speech Lessons

Ok, the first public speaking engagement went off with minor hitches. Here's a few bits of knowledge I am taking away.

First, it is important to figure out the logistics of any event early in advance. For this trip, I was taking a very early Amtrak train out of New York City to Philadelphia (4:30am departure). I have been staying up pretty late because I am working on a plethora of different projects. Turns out, changing the body clock isn't that easy. Take a few days prior to get all of that in check or you'll have a 30 hour day like I did.

Secondly, if it isn't a space you have encountered before ensure that all you need is available. For me, I was interested in finding out whether there were plugs in case my laptop needed charging. Also, making sure the projector would shift easily to my laptop from the "event facility" equipment also important. Turns out, we just ended up using mine the whole time.

Thirdly, include a bit of extra time from your run through. Even though I timed my speech there was more interaction with the audience than planned. Also, the interactive components can be a challenge. It's one thing to say that all questions should be held until the end of the event. If you are ushering in feedback by adding anything interactive, please know it opens the flood gates.

Fourth, know all of the material. This is really simple but a huge difference in delivery. You should not have to read one sentence of your presentation word for word. If you have prepped the head shouldn't be drooped down reading a powerpoint slide. I was most happy with my content knowledge.