Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Comminicating effectively in a new group

I have just joined a very active organization mobilizing folks for the single payer initiative. The depth of commitment of time/energy is really inspirational to me.

Today, as I'm sitting around the room my "editor-of-conversation" began filtering a lot of what was said. First, I noticed my comments were outweighing others, so I wanted to slow down. Where would all those thoughts go then, I wondered? Instead, I tried a system of spreading the idea around. My speech pattern can be pretty bulky: a lot of words at one time. If I summarized what the main idea was in smaller chunks everything could get done. Also, the need to not seem intrusive (a new member) or egotistical can be met.

This is always something of which I am aware when joining new groups. While reviewing other pages for communications consultants (have to understand the landscape) a great point lept off the screen. It can take up to 12 times to undo a negative first impression. Most people, especially in a 2.0 world, don't give you that many opportunities.

The filtration system works in different ways when we're at work. Even with friends, family and members of our innermost circles there's ususally a bit of editing. I need to just let myself be heard and also interact in a way that fulfills the desire to be accepted.