Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Monday, August 10, 2009

Just say it

I have been going back and forth with a client for about a week. I needed them to basically reroute a few processes in a more clarified manner. More specifically, emails were being sent out for a project that weren't very clear. Some referred to the project in one tone, others styled it differently.

My point: At some point we need to be able to know what works and what doesn't. If there's no point of reference, that's impossible.

Client Stance: The processes that are in place are great. We don't need to move to some systematic way of communicating. This is just meeting people and making really solid connections, not quantity.

The issue: The client didn't dispute anything I was saying. What I was saying wasn't what needed to be said. Instead of saying "we need to be able to track," the intended message was "this isn't powerful and it's kind of sloppy."

Lesson learned.