Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Sunday, August 2, 2009

My tester with BlogTalkRadio is on August 10

Wow. I never knew so much content was possible to deliver over the web. In testing out which means of relationship building works the best I've created an account at BlogTalkRadio. Public speaking has always been a favorite of mine. This would be a chance to speak to an audience (though intitally without metrics it's hard to say who) about communications.

Taking a step back, it's hard to think of myself as speaking on how to position with an audience. My own experience has been colored by a lack of understanding in the moment how I play a role as a participant in the theatre of conversation.

Many consultants have said they are very frustrated because clients won't implement their advice. The point is that all feeback one gives, consultant or otherwise, is honest. Don't lie or be so afraid of actually getting to the point that you finesse it so much that the main point gets lost. That's what I've learned. The truth might hurt you professionally but a lie will damage you internally.

Say it. Mean it. Own it.

My communications strategy for how to connect with clients, freelancers and new friends alike is to step back (a few days) and think of the "it" I can deliver. What do I need in return? That's the starting ground.