Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Sunday, August 23, 2009

My response email to resume critic

Philip,

Thanks much for the feedback it is really always appreciated. I hear what you're saying and there is justification as to why that statement is included. The simple fact is it eliminates the need to "...talk people into paying [me] $35,000." If we remove the need to negotiate at any level outside of my range I may save a hiring organization valuable company time.

As a general principle, clarity of intent allows for an honest dialogue with no room for confusion. There's no inherent difference in a company setting new hire salary caps and my being clear as to the minimum offer that is acceptable.

It's telling that an employee who advocates for themselves and creates an environment for full disclosure would be immediately tagged "...hard to handle" versus self-aware and honest. Most of the work cultures in which opportunities for improved communications go unfulfilled exist becaue employees do not want to be seen as "troublemakers" and prefer the label of "good" over "valuable." Since my honest disclosure was received negatively, I would definitely not be a good fit for your company culture.

Thank you again and best of luck,

David