Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Just joined the Freelancers Union. Thoughts?

In this economy, it's all coming screaming down towards the earth. Well, it's not so bad but I know the corporate big biz way to of doing things isn't working. Maybe I don't want to work until I'm 65. Creativity is really something. A curse if you ask me. Big jobs pay well but I feel dead. My pocket profits while my soul dies. Okay, that's a bit Years of Our Lives, but I do feel it a little bit.

Since I'm not working, here's an attempt to wade into the freelance pool. I have my first gig. It pays...get ready, $20 a week. Wow, who knew college degrees were so profitable?

I did join the Freelancers Union. They have a ton of discounts on office space, pending my development continues and I meet good people. Right now the main thing is income. Finding out what people are charging who for what service. It's a SWOT analysis. Yes, those fun metrics that can help us find out who our adverseries are and crush them like tiny insect squishy things. (Insert totally inappropriate laughter).

There's so much to do, say and all that. It's just the beginning. There are a lot of upcoming projects and meetings. Let's blast off.