Smaller bits from the host of Dcommunications.net

Sunday, August 23, 2009

My "non-negotiable" salary angers a potential employer

I am looking for "steady" work at a large company. Specifically, I'd like to find something in the communications arena where copywriting, speech writing and report drafting is a part of my function. Needless to say, in this type of environment there's the need to send a large amount of resumes to get even a single response.

In order to keep testing new formats my resume was recently updated, again. The final entry on the 1-page resume (they shouldn't be too lengthy) is salary. Instead of just writing a range of numbers I also detail that the figure is "non-negotiable." It's simple and to the point. I wouldn't want an employer to lead me into an interview and try to offer something less because it will not be accepted. In fact, the range which is offered already contains a built in "discount".

My perspective is that this is transparent and helps to clarify my income need.

Apparantly, the message was received very differently than intended.